Gastroenterology in Lewisham
The gastroenterology service provides assessment of a full variety of digestive conditions including indigestion, heartburn, irritable bowel, celiac disease, evaluation of abnormal liver function tests, viral hepatitis and all chronic liver conditions.
The Gastroenterology Department also offers treatment for inflammatory bowel disease, including a specialist adolescent clinic, viral hepatitis and chronic liver disease.
Lewisham is also the lead site in SE London for bowel cancer screening colonoscopy and ensures that all patients that take up screening receive a timely colonoscopy either at Lewisham or Kings. Nurse-led family history clinics are held for people at risk of bowel cancer.
What services are available?
The Gastroenterology Department provide a wide range of services, including:
- Gastroenterology clinics for assessment and follow up monitoring
- Full range of endoscopy tests including: gastroscopy, flexi sigmoidoscopy, colonoscopy and ERCP
- Hepatology services, including hepatitis B and C treatment
- Specialist bowel cancer screening service
The Endoscopy Suite
The endoscopy suite is a modern suite in the Riverside treatment centre, with three procedure rooms and ample facilities for one-to-one consultation.
We offer a variety of inpatient and outpatient diagnostic endoscopy tests, including colonoscopy, flexi sigmoidoscopy and gastroscopy. We also perform a wide number of therapeutic interventions including PEG insertion, oesophageal stenting, balloon dilatation and endoscopy therapy for acute gastrointestinal bleeding.
The suite has a full range of facilities including video-endoscopic equipment. It has been externally recognised and certified to meet the highest standards relating to clinical audit and training as well as patient safety and experience. All patients are seen within the national guidance waiting times. We have advanced endoscopic techniques and equipment to minimise discomfort during colonoscopy and for upper GI endoscopy, we provide sedation if requested.
All endoscopy procedures are performed or supervised by consultants, and there are three endoscopist practitioners, two of whom have achieved national prominence or won national awards. The specialist nursing team is trained to support the clinicians carrying out the endoscopic procedures, to look after patients during the recovery stage and to provide a high standard of support and guidance for patients and their relatives.
Where is the department located?
All gastroenterology clinics are held in Suite 4 of the Kingfisher Building, situated in the Pink Zone at University Hospital Lewisham.
All endoscopy procedures are held at the Riverside Treatment Centre, situated in the Orange Zone at University Hospital Lewisham.
Who are these services for?
Patients are referred for:
- General gastroenterology
- Inflammatory bowel disease
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Acute and chronic pancreatitis
- General hepatology
- Chronic liver disease
- Hepatitis B and C
- Biliary disease
- Patients with suspected cancer should be referred under the two week wait cancer pathway referral guidelines.
This service does not see children under 16.
How can you get an appointment?
Patients are referred via their GP.
How can you contact the department?
Secretary to Dr Dewar, Dr Reffitt and Dr Fidler
T: 020 3192 6180
Secretary to Dr O’Donohue
T: 020 3192 6047 or 020 3192 6182
Who are the key staff?
We have five consultant gastroenterologists (including one female) and two specialist registrars who offer a variety of specialist interests within gastroenterology.
What else do I need to know?
When coming for your appointment:
- Please report to the Reception Desk in Suite 4 upon arrival.
- Please bring a list of any medication/creams you are taking with you.
- If you are unable to attend or no longer need your appointment - please contact the Choose and Book Telephone Appointments Line on: 0845 60 88 8 88 or re-book your appointment using the internet.
- Overseas residents are not automatically entitled to free NHS treatment. If you have any doubts regarding your entitlement please contact the Overseas Visitors Department who will discuss your situation with you on 0208 3192 6843/4.