Nutrition and Dietetics
The department of nutrition and dietetics provides services to adults and children at University Hospital Lewisham, Queen Elizabeth Hospital and in the Lewisham community.
The Nutrition and Dietetics team provides education, information and advice on food and nutrition needs. They see patients in outpatient clinics and on inpatient wards. The department contributes to the nutritional training and education of staff.
On this page you can find information on the following:
- What conditions are treated by the team
- Who are the services for
- Where/ when are services provided
- Contact information
- Referral information
- Some useful websites you may want to visit
The team is able to treat a variety of long-term and acute conditions in adults and children. Their service is often provided alongside other methods of treatment or management of the condition.
An Adult Nutrition and Dietetic service is available for patients over 16 years old.
A Paediatric Nutrition and Dietetic service is available for patients under 16 years old or up to 19 if the patient has special needs.
Queen Elizabeth Hospital
- Carbohydrate Counting Workshops - held on Mondays four times a year
- Diabetes Type 1 and complicated Type 2 clinics - held on Tuesday mornings
- Diabetes Antenatal Clinics - held on Thursday mornings
- Gastroenterology and general dietetic clinics - held in Outpatients Area E on Wednesday afternoons
- General dietetic clinics, oncology and respiratory - held in Outpatients Area D on Thursday afternoons
- Gestational Diabetes Group clinics - held on Friday mornings
- Type 1 Emergency Clinics - held on Mondays and Fridays.
- Allergy Clinic - Tuesday morning in Dolphin Outpatients Area
- General Paediatric Clinic - Wednesday morning and Thursday afternoon in Dolphin Outpatients Area
- Paediatric Oncology Clinic - alternate Fridays
- Paediatric Diabetes Clinic - alternate Fridays.
University Hospital Lewisham
- General, Bariatric, Diabetes and Gastroenterology Clinics - held in Suite 9 across the week, please contact the dietetic office on 020 8333 3314 for days and times
- Oncology clinics - held in Suite 8, please contact the dietetic office on 020 8333 3314 for days and times.
- Children with diabetes / special needs will have their appointment at Kaleidoscope
- Outpatient clinics (allergy, general, diabetes) - held in Kingfisher department.
Services provided in the Lewisham community
- Home Enteral Dietitians (HEN) - the team manage feeding tubes for both adult and paediatric patients
- Cancer of Head and Neck Team (CHANT) - dietitians work alongside other healthcare professionals, specialising in providing nutritional advice and support to head & neck cancer patients to support them with living at home
- Oncology - Macmillan dietitians provide home visits for those on the palliative care pathway within the borough of Lewisham
- Diabetes Clinics - Clinics are held at Waldron Health centre, Woolstone Medical centre and Marvels Lane clinic. The team also provide Diabetes Education and Self Management for Ongoing and Newly Diagnosed (DESMOND) structured education sessions
- Shopping for Health tours in local supermarkets
- Adult Weight Management Group.
The team also work closely with members of the Adult Cardiac rehab group, CALM (Centre for Active Lifestyle Management) group and Pulmonary Rehab Group to enhance the care and support for patients of these services.
To contact the Nutrition and Dietetics team, please see detail below depending on which site you need. The numbers number will go to answerphone over the weekend and out of office hours, so please leave your name and contact details so somebody can get back to you.
Queen Elizabeth Hospital: Dietetics Department, Inpatient Therapies Centre, 1st Floor, Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Stadium Road, London, SE18 4QH.
Telephone: 020 8 836 5062.
University Hospital Lewisham: Dietetics Department, Suite 9, 2nd Floor University Hospital Lewisham, Lewisham High Street, London, SE13 6LH.
Telephone: 020 8 333 3314
Please note: Patients cannot self-refer to Nutrition and Dietetic Services.
To access the adult services, patients will need to be referred by their GP (Greenwich only), hospital consultant or clinical nurse specialist.
To access the children's service, a referral must be made by the patients' hospital consultant or a clinical nurse specialist.
GP referrals for paediatric patients should be sent to the Greenwich Community paediatric team, which is run by Oxleas NHS Foundation Trust.
For Queen Elizabeth Hospital Dietitians, outpatient referrals should be made via letter to:
Dietetics Department, Inpatient Therapies Centre, 1st Floor, Queen Elizabeth Hospital,
Stadium Road, London, SE18 4QH
GP and consultant referrals for weight management must include weight, height and BMI.
GPs can contact a member of the Nutrition and Dietetics team by calling the dietetic office on 020 8 836 5062.
Or emailing LG.QE-Dietitians@nhs.net
For University Hospital Lewisham Dietitians, outpatient referrals should be made via letter to:
Dietetics Department, Suite 9, 2nd Floor University Hospital Lewisham, Lewisham High Street, London, SE13 6LH
The following websites may also be able to provide you with useful information and support:
- Diabetes UK
- Heart UK
- British Heart Foundation
- Food Standards Agency
- Health and Care Professions Council
- British Dietetic Association
- Coeliac UK