Over 170 front-line staff attended an all-day safeguarding conference on 8 February organised by our adult and children’s safeguarding teams.
Staff heard from inspirational speakers while updating several areas of their mandatory training. Topics included sex, gender and safeguarding, learning from serious case reviews on the neglect of adults, youth violence, sexual exploitation, the Prevent programme designed to protect people from the threat of terrorism, gender-based abuse, consent and capacity.
Veronika Simons, non-executive director for safeguarding, congratulated the safeguarding teams for the hard work they had put in to organise such a great event. She commented: "There was such a buzz throughout the day. People were clearly stimulated and relating what they heard to their own work. I thoroughly enjoyed the day. As well as learning a lot, I also valued the opportunity to meet so many people engaged in safeguarding at the Trust.”
Our key speakers included:
- Dr David Evans OBE
- Vicky Foxcroft, MP for Lewisham and Deptford, Chair of the Cross-Party Youth Violence Commission
- Paul McCann, Prevent Regional Coordinator for London and the South East
- Katie London, Lewisham Athena manager
- Professor Michael Preston-Chair of Lewisham Safeguarding Adults Board
- Trust Barrister Catherine Wood and
- Viv Johnstone, Sexual Health Safeguarding lead who stepped in at the last minute to replace an absent speaker.