Who's Who

Mother with baby and twins


During your pregnancy you may see some or all of these members of our integrated Maternity team, if you are unsure as to what our role is please do ask we will all be more than happy to answer any queries and concerns you may have.



A Midwife can be a man or a woman who is “with Woman”; his or her role as a midwife involves looking after you and your baby’s wellbeing  during pregnancy, labour, and the period after your baby is born which is known as the post natal period . It includes measures aimed at preventing health problems in pregnancy, the detection of abnormal conditions and requesting medical assistance when necessary.


Professional Midwifery Advocates (PMAs)

Professional Midwifery Advocates (PMAs) help midwives provide safe care for you, your baby and your family. They make sure that the care you receive from your midwife is right for you and will meet your needs. They also make sure that it is given in the right place and by the right person.

PMAs are experienced midwives who have had additional training and education to enable them to help midwives provide the best quality midwifery care. They oversee the work of the midwives and meet with them regularly to ensure that high standards of care are provided. They also guide and support midwives in developing their skills and expertise.



A consultant obstetrician is a doctor who has successfully completed specialised
training in the management of women who have more complicated pregnancies, labours and the period after your baby is born which is called the post natal period. You may also meet Doctors who are working in the maternity unit who have completed their foundation postgraduate training and are working in the structured specialist training programme supported by the consultants.


Student midwives

Student midwives work alongside experienced midwives on placements throughout the hospital and community settings. They are undertaking a course of study at one of our partner universities. They work under close supervision and only undertake tasks they have been trained to do. If you would prefer not to have a student midwife participating in your care please discuss this with your midwife.


Maternity Support Worker (MSW)

A MSW is employed to work both within the hospital and the community setting .In all settings they are a very important member of the integrated maternity team. They will work without the need for direct supervision in some circumstances however they will always have very clear channels of communication with a midwife on a daily basis to ensure any concerns around the your or your baby’s care are escalated appropriately .

Both MSW’s and MCA’s are NHS workers who are neither registered nor licensed by a regulatory body. They are accountable to themselves, their employer and importantly the people they care for.


Maternity Care Assistant (MCA)

A MCA is employed predominately in the hospital setting ensuring that the physical needs of those accessing our care are met and that the environment in which you are cared for is both clean and tidy. He or she may undertake limited clinical duties, for example taking your blood pressure, if the midwife delegating the task feels it is both safe and  appropriate to do so.


Infant feeding team

You may meet our infant feeding team either before you have your baby at the breastfeeding classes or after your baby’s birth on the post natal ward. They will be happy to support you as you and your baby learn to breast feed or if you need support bottle feeding.



We have housekeepers who work tirelessly to keep the wards clean and tidy and the equipment used in your care both clean and functioning effectively.


Administrative team

The admin staff are the first point of contact for patients and visitors to the Trust. They work as key members of the reception and ward teams, providing administrative support and cover across maternity, gynaecology clinics and maternity wards.

Their duties include:

  • Maintaining patient records relating to each specific clinic, using information supplied by clinician/s.
  • Making appointments for all patients attending clinics and issuing appointment letters.
  • Answering the telephone following an agreed customer service protocol.



Anaesthetists are doctors who have completed their medical training and choose to complete further training to become an anaesthetist. You will see these doctors if you want an epidural or need to go to the operating theatre.


Neonatologist/Paediatrician (Baby Doctor)

A paediatrician is a doctor who undertakes the medical care of infants and children.


Health visitor

The health visitor is a Qualified Registered Nurse, midwife, sick children’s nurse or psychiatric nurse with specialist qualifications in community health, which includes child health, health promotion and education.  Your health visitor has unique professional expertise to deliver universal child and family health services. She will work closely with your local children’s centres and other partners to ensure that all families have access to the support they need when children are in their early years .This is a partnership between you both focusing on your own and your children’s health and well being. She will help families stay in touch with wider sources of support and lead on health improvement on subjects such as healthy eating, accident prevention and emotional wellbeing.


All staff you meet during your pregnancy, the birth of your baby and after your baby is born should introduce themselves to you. All will be wearing some form of identification badge. If you do not know who the person undertaking your care or visiting you at home is please do not be afraid to ask them for their name and role in your care.