Safeguarding Children and Lewisham and Greenwich NHS Trust (LGT)
Safeguarding children is everyone’s responsibility and all health organisations have a duty under the Children Act 2004 to make arrangements to safeguard and promote the welfare of children. National guidance highlights the need to improve outcomes for all children.
Who are the Safeguarding Children team?
The team is made up of lots of different healthcare professionals, including doctors, nurses and midwives who are specially trained in safeguarding. Within the team, there is also a designated nurse and doctor for looked after children, a medical advisor for Adoption and Fostering and Safeguarding Advisors and administrators.
The team work closely the Designated Doctor and Nurse for Safeguarding and Looked After Children and Designated Doctor for Child Death in each of the local boroughs.
What does the Team Do?
The team covers a range of activities across the Trust to support staff meet their safeguarding children responsibilities. We work with multiagency partners to promote the welfare of children and ensure timely information sharing and risk assessment occurs.
• Regular supervision/support/ advice on safeguarding children issues to ensure early help and prevention of abuse
• Safeguarding training to all staff
• Reflective learning forums for staff
• Medical assessments for children when suspected abuse has occurred
• Trust representation at local Safeguarding Children Board (SCB) meetings and task groups
• Assurance to the Trust Board, Commissioners/ SCBs about Safeguarding activity within LGT
• Contribution to Serious Case Reviews or multiagency reviews
• A liaison service on the Lewisham site to act as an information sharing link between hospital and community staff.
• A Looked After Children service including medical and health reports.
• Support for staff in writing reports for court/legal requests
Where is the team based?
Kaleidoscope, Lewisham Centre for Children and Young People, 32 Rushey Green, London SE6 4 JF
University Hospital Lewisham, Lewisham High Street, Lewisham, SE13 6LH
Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Stadium Road, Woolwich, SE18 4QH
How can you contact the team?
You can call the Safeguarding Children Advice Line (SCAL) on
07867 843532 between Monday to Friday 9 am – 5pm
Safeguarding Advice out of hours can be sought from Hospital Paediatricians by contacting switch board on
UHL 0203 300 3000 or QE 0208 836 6000