Children's HIV services
The Children’s HIV Service provides management for babies born to HIV positive mothers and provides HIV testing for children.
You can contact the department using any of the following:
Who is the service for?
Babies until 18 months and children up to 16 years who require HIV testing.
What services are provided?
- Pre-natal counselling of HIV positive mothers and recommendations relating to management of the baby. Follow-up clinics for first 18 months after birth
- HIV testing of children
How can you get a referral?
Following an assessment, usually by your GP, a referral will be made for your child to be seen by a member of the Children & Young People Team at Lewisham and Greenwich NHS Trust. This referral can be made in a few different ways, as follows:
- Choose & Book appointment – This is where you can book an appointment with the chosen service directly yourself, either at your GP surgery or at home; choosing a date and time that is suitable for you.
- Direct referral – This is where the person referring your child will send a letter or fax to the chosen service and you will then receive the next available appointment, which will be sent to you by post.
Any queries regarding appointments can be directed to the person referring you or to the Appointments Team at Lewisham Hospital on 020 8333 3216.
- Dr John Stroobant, Consultant Paediatrician
- Dr Daya Nayagam, Community Paediatrician