Radiology at University Hospital Lewisham
We provide an extensive Radiology service to assist in the diagnosing of trauma and disease.
We are very busy department, seeing a variety of patients referred to us from A&E, outpatient clinics, hospital wards and GPs. We aim to provide a 24-hour emergency service.
T: 020 8333 3047
The Department is open is from 8.30am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.
What services are provided?
We undertake a variety of examinations for GPs and hospital medical staff from plain radiographs (for example chest x-rays), ultrasounds, more complex CT and MRI scans and interventional procedures. The Department has strict guidelines to ensure that the minimum radiation dose is given and keeps its equipment and staff up to date with the latest available technology.
Walk in General X-Ray Service
In September 2019 we will have completed the refusbishment of our General X-Ray rooms at University Hospital Lewisham. The new facilities offer:
- Latest state of the art digital X-ray rooms (lower radiation dose examinations and immediate images available)
- Separate in-patient and out-patient waiting areas
- Disabled changing facilities
- Modern changing cubicles
- Dedicated staff areas for handling image data
This means we can now offer a walk in X-ray service (zero waits) for your GP patients who require general X-Ray examinations eg. Chest X-ray, spine X-ray etc;
Patients will no longer have to book appointments and can be X-rayed on attending the radiology department at Lewisham. Thus improving diagnosis and treatment of patients.
The walk in X-ray service will be available to your patients from 2nd September 2019 at the following times:
Monday to Friday: 8.15 am to 12 noon and 2.00 pm to 3.45 pm
Note: Patients will be seen on a first come, first served basis and waiting times will vary in the department depending on demand.
What facilities are available?
- Four general x-ray rooms
- Four main ultrasound rooms
- Four obstetric ultrasound rooms (located in the Women's Health Department)
- A dedicated room for adult digital screening
- A multi-slice CT scanner
- An MRI Suite
- An x-ray theatre
- Nuclear medicine gamma camera
- Separate A&E X-ray department
How can you get a referral?
Patients are referred from A&E, outpatients clinics, theatres, GPs, mental health organisations and other hospitals.
Why choose the Radiology Department at Lewisham?
- The Radiology Department comprises around 60 full and part-time staff, including consultant radiologists, radiographers, radiographic helpers, nurses and administrative and clerical staff. All staff are committed to providing high-quality care for patients and have extensive expertise.
- The Radiology Department has been extensively refurbished in recent years, and recently opened a brand new state-of-the art radiology suite complete with two refurbished x-ray rooms, brand new x-ray machines and a bespoke recovery area.