International medical graduates

Induction day

Moving to a new country can be an exciting and challenging time in one’s career and the aim of this web page is to provide some guidance and information for any international medical graduates considering working at the Trust.

Understanding the NHS

NHS Employers has information aimed specifically at international medical graduates, including the structure of the NHS, immigration requirements, pay structures and resources

Download the information: 

Working-training-NHS-guide-for-IMGs [pdf] 507KB

Or you can find out more on the NHS Employers website

The British Medical Association (BMA)

The British Medical Association (BMA) is the trade union and professional body for doctors in the UK. They can provide advice on contracts, working conditions and pay. Members can also access a variety of educational resources and articles from the British Medical Journal.

It is optional to join the BMA. Their website has some open access content including an introduction to UK immigration specifically for doctors.

DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service)

All international medical graduate doctors will need to provide a certificate of good standing from their home country on initially moving to the UK. This will need to be the original document. Once you have been in the UK for 3 months, you will need to apply for DBS. Medical Staffing department will give you the required information to complete this process.  

Finance (bank account)

Medical staffing will be able to help you with setting up a bank account locally. For example, we have links to HSBC. also offer online only banking which is easy to set up if you are new to the UK.

The General Medical Council (GMC)

The General Medical Council (GMC) is the independent organization that sets standards for medical students and doctors in the UK. The GMC website has lots of online resources and videos about what to expect when working in the UK which may be helpful.

All doctors working in the UK require GMC registration with a licence to practice. More information about how to apply can be found on the GMC website. It is important to start the application process in good time before you plan to enter the country.

If you have spoken to the GMC and you believe that it will be difficult to obtain GMC registration independently, it may be possible to obtain support from the UK Royal College for the specialty that you have been appointed to work in.

If you undertook your primary medical qualification in a country other than the United Kingdom, as part of your application enquiries the GMC will confirm the English Language Competency that they expect you to demonstrate. This may require you to undertake one or more of the following; (1) International English Language Testing System (IELTS) and/or Professional Linguistic Assessment Board (PLAB) Exam. See the GMC website following for more information. 


If you are coming to work in the UK you will need a Tier 2 visa in order to work. If we have recruited you, the Trust will give you a letter of sponsorship which will allow you to apply for the visa before you come to the UK.

You can also work in the UK if you are on a spouse visa, and hence would not need a letter of sponsorship.

You can find the relevant information on the GOV.UK website.

National Insurance number

If you are planning to work in the UK, you will need to apply for a National Insurance (NI) number. If you’re moving to the UK, you may already have a NI number which will be printed on the back of your biometric residence permit (BRP).

If you do not have one, you must apply for a NI number if you plan to work, apply for a student loan or claim benefits. You can only apply once you’re in the UK.

Postgraduate education

Education supervisors

You will be assigned an educational supervisor, whose role is to support you educationally in your role at the Trust. These are experienced consultants who will be responsible for the overall supervision and management of your trajectory of learning and educational progress, during the clinical training period. The educational supervisor’s role is to help you to plan your training, and achieve agreed learning outcomes. They are responsible for the educational agreement and for bringing together all relevant evidence to form a summative judgement at the end of the clinical training period.

Postgraduate teaching

The Trust has a vibrant postgraduate department with teaching and training at all stages ie Foundation (equivalent to House Officer), core specialty training (equivalent to Senior House Officer), and Specialist Registrar. There is also an excellent Simulation suite to provide clinical skills in a controlled environment. There is access to study leave for career development, both internal and external. We also welcome you to be part of our postgraduate teaching faculty for Foundation and Core specialty training.


Both sites have a simulation centre (pictured below) that run a variety of in house courses. These will be advertised to you once you start working at the Trust. Other local trusts also run simulation courses that are available to local doctors. You can find out more on Eventbrite

Simulation centre


Bedside teaching

There are opportunities to take part in undergraduate and postgraduate bedside teaching in the Trust.

Resuscitation training

The Trust has in-house resuscitation courses which you will have access to. This will need to be requested in advance, please liaise with medical education.

Most doctors working in the UK need to undertake an Advanced Life Support course run by the Resuscitation Council (UK). Speak to your educational supervisor about this at your initial meeting. A study budget is available should you need to take the course.

Access to study leave and courses

All Trust Grade Doctors have access to a £800 study budget and 10 days of study leave each year. This can be used to undertake professional exams or courses relevant to your role. You will need to apply for study leave through the Education Centre.       

Access to electronic portfolio

You will have access to an electronic portfolio for your career development. The Medical Education team can help you with this.

Access to prescribing teaching (SCRIPT)

If you require refresher training with prescribing please contact medical education who can give you access to online prescribing modules.

Preparing for your move

Before you move, please review the following checklist to ensure you are well prepared:

Preparation to move checklist.[pdf] 291KB