Welcome to Arts Connect, the arts programme for Lewisham & Greenwich NHS Trust.
The arts programme of events, activities, performances and exhibitions involves patients, visitors and staff at:
Please visit the relevant hospital's page for details of each hospital’s programme and for details of highlights of the hospitals’ collections of artwork which are accessible to visitors.
Our Aims and Objectives
Aims of Arts Connect
Most hospital Trusts now recognise the importance of the arts as integral part of healthcare, providing a positive and uplifting environment for patients, visitors and staff. Improving the hospital environment with specially commissioned works of art, performance or activities can help people in a number of ways including:
- lowering levels of anxiety, stress and depression for patients and their families
- making surroundings more pleasant, relaxing and less institutional
- involving the community in their hospital to encourage ownership
- raising the spirits - stimulating and inspiring design can brighten up dull, lifeless spaces
- providing a focus for reflection at difficult times and times of change
- alleviating boredom and providing a distraction
- being fun and making people laugh!
- To improve the healing environment for staff, patients and visitors to the hospital
- To develop quality artistic activities at the hospital including events, exhibitions and projects
- To continually re-evaluate the role of the arts within the healing environment in terms of both therapeutic effect and aesthetic enhancement
- To support and educate artistic practitioners that wish to develop their practice within the healing environment
- To support and educate health practitioners that wish to develop their practice within the artistic environment
- To raise the profile of the arts within medical culture and training (medical humanities) in general using Arts Connect as an example of best practice in the field.
To find out if there are currently opportunities for artists including commissions, exhibitions, music performances, projects and volunteering, please visit the Opportunities page for details.
Get in touch with us via our Contact page for more details.
Queen Elizabeth Hospital serves the Royal Borough of Greenwich and bordering boroughs.
Arts Connect replaces previous Arts programmes: Lewisham Hospital Arts (at UHL) and Verve Arts (at QEH).