The interpreting service is provided through Language Line Solutions. Language Line provides a 24-hour telephone service that connects you to a qualified interpreter in under a minute.
How to Access the Interpreting Service
To access the service you must request an interpreter from the department you are in. The easiest way to do this is simply to ask the person helping you if they can provide a Language Line interpreter.
The service can be used any time of the day from any location using any type of telephone. However, access may be limited depending on the opening hours of the department you need help from.
Please note you cannot call Language Line directly to request an interpreter, this service must be arranged via the Trust.
Access the service when you are at the hospital:
- Point to the language you require or inform the person helping you of your language
- The person helping you will call Language Line to request an interpreter who will ensure you are understood
- The interpreter will introduce the person helping you
- You are now able to talk directly to the person helping you
Access the service when calling the hospital on the telephone:
- Inform the person helping you that you need an interpreter and tell them the language you speak
- The word ‘interpreter’ is universal and will be understood by the person helping you
- Follow the process as above
About Language Line
Each Languageline interpreter holds appropriate interpreting qualifications and undergoes a rigorous assessment to ensure they have the skills required to interpret professionally.
In addition to this, all of their linguists must sign a Confidentiality Agreement and accept a comprehensive Code of Conduct before they are accepted to work for LanguageLine Solutions.
Please remember the interpreter is completely impartial so will not offer advice or guidance and will interpret exactly what is said by both parties.
Use An Interpreter
- Tell a member of staff the language you need.
- The member of staff will call Language Line.
- You will be introduced to a telephone interpreter.
- They will help you communicate with our staff.