People who are looking to stop smoking are three times more likely to quit if they engage with stop smoking services.
The team are there to give you advice and information on the advantages of not smoking and how you can achieve your goal.
When you contact the stop smoking service you will be given options of different clinics and offered an appointment. Their role is to support you in your journey to stopping smoking and to discuss your choice of medication and behavioural support.
Please note: During coronavirus stop smoking services are now been offered phone and online video calls rather than face to face. Please call the Lewisham team on 0800 0820 388 to arrange support. There is currently a national shortage of Champix – please contact the team to find out more.
We can help you find out everything you need to know to achieve your goal of becoming smokefree.
Lewisham Stop Smoking Service
Smokers clinics and online support:
- You can see a specialist advisor who will give you intensive weekly or bi-weekly support
- You can see an advisor in the community or at your GP surgery.
- They are flexible in terms of timings ie you can start whenever you like
- You are prescribed your medication via a voucher which you can 'cash in' at your pharmacy
- We also offer online stop smoking support through our digital self-help service. This is suitable for low to moderate dependency smokers.
You can book an appointment by calling 0800 0820 388 and all of the clinics are listed here.
What treatment options are available?
More information will be available through your advisor but in brief the options are as follows.
There are two options of medications:
- Champix: a three month course of medication that partially blocks the nicotine receptors, reduces cravings and decreases the pleasure of smoking.
- Nicotine replacement therapy: there is a wide choice of different medications that can be used on their own or in combination. The advisor will explain how to use them most effectively.
To get the most benefits from these medications, they should be used in combination with behavioural support from a trained advisor.
The Smokefree Lewisham website can be found by clicking on this link stop smoking services website which is packed with information including where to access support to help you become smokefree. You can also call 0800 0820 388.
Greenwich Stop Smoking Service
The Stop Smoking Service offers free, local support and advice to quit smoking from friendly, trained advisors. We also have specialist support available for those with mental health conditions and for those that are pregnant .
For further advice:
Text: ‘QUIT’ to 60060
Email: email@example.com – just send name and telephone number
Tel: LiveWell Greenwich line on 0800 470 4831 to be connected with a Stop Smoking Advisor
Website: Live Well Greenwich | Stop Smoking - takes you straight through to the referral form.