For anyone looking to stop smoking you are four times more likely to quit if you engage with the stop smoking services.
The team are there to give you advice and information on the advantages of not smoking and how you can achieve your goal.
When you contact the stop smoking service you will be given options of different clinics and offered an appointment. Their role is to support you in your journey to stopping smoking and to discuss your choice of medication and behavioural support.
We can help you find out everything you need to know to achieve your goal of becoming smokefree.
Smokers Clinics + online support:
- You can see a specialist advisor who will give you intensive weekly or bi-weekly support
- You can see an advisor in the community or at your GP surgery.
- They are flexible in terms of timings i.e. you can start whenever you like
- You are prescribed your medication via a voucher which you can 'cash in' at your pharmacy
- From 2018 we will also offer online stop smoking support through our digital self-help service. This is suitable for low to moderate dependency smokers.
You can book an appointment by calling 0800 0820 388 and all of the clinics are listed here.
What treatment options are available?
More information will be available through your advisor but in brief the options are as follows.
There are two options of medications:
- Champix: a three months course of medication that partially blocks the nicotine receptors, reduces cravings and decreases the pleasure of smoking.
- Nicotine replacement therapy: There is a wide choice medication which can be used on their own or in combination. The advisor will go with you through their respective advantages and how to use them most effectively.
To get the most benefits from these medications, they should be used in combination with behavioural support from a trained advisor.
The Smokefree Lewisham website can be found by clicking on this link stop smoking services website which is packed with information including where to access support to help you become smokefree or you can also phone 0800 0820 388
If you live, work or study in Greenwich, you can get help to quit smoking from the Greenwich Stop Smoking website.