If you choose to bottle-feed your baby, we will support your choice. It is really important to make sure formula feeds are prepared correctly and that all feeding equipment is sterilised correctly to prevent your baby becoming unwell.
Top tips for bottle feeding
- Be aware of your baby’s feeding cues
- Keep your baby close, with as much skin-to-skin contact as possible
- During a feed, hold your baby upright and make eye contact with them
- It’s best if just one or two people – the primary care givers – feed your baby
- Young babies tend to take small amounts of milk more often. Try not to force them to take large amounts at one feed. Responding to your baby’s feeding cues will allow them to take food as they need and not become overfed
For further information and advice, see the NHS guide to bottle feeding.