Professional Midwifery Advocate
A new model of midwifery supervision came into effect in April 2017 and will be based on the A-EQUIP model led by a team of Professional Midwifery Advocates (PMA)
The A-EQUIP (Advocating for Education and QUality ImProvement) model works for women in three ways:
- Supporting midwives to advocate for women
- Providing direct support for women within a restorative approach and
- Undertaking quality improvement in collaboration with women. (NHS England 2017).
What are Professional Midwifery Advocates?
Professional Midwifery Advocates support midwives to ensure that women and babies receive good quality, safe care. Midwives will support you throughout your maternity care: if you have any concerns about your care, you and/or your midwife may contact a Professional Midwifery Advocate
How Professional Midwifery Advocates can help you
At Lewisham and Greenwich NHS Trust we have one full time PMA post consisting of two senior midwives, supported by a further 3 senior midwives who all work clinically within midwifery.
We are experienced, practising midwives who have undertaken additional training.
- We can support your midwife to discuss the most appropriate choices for you and your baby.
- We can listen to any concerns you may have about your maternity care and take action if it is felt to be appropriate.We are happy to sign post you to other services if this is something that would be useful to you.
- We are happy to see you to discuss your birth(s) if you feel a discussion around your birth experience would help you.
- We work with the Maternity Voices Partnership Services to ensure women's experiences of maternity services are listened to
- We facilitate training and workshops
- Midwives may want to contact us for professional advice and guidance or to reflect on their practice or experiences.
To contact us please ask your midwife to refer you or email us:
If you have not already, you can refer yourself directly to our maternity services without having to speak to your GP. You can call our maternity hotline on 07787 841 986.
If you have any non-urgent enquiries, why not ask Edie our E-Midwife:
Refer Yourself Today
Did you know you can refer yourself for an appointment with one of our midwives without speaking to your GP first?
You can self-refer by calling our midwife hotline on 07787 841 986.
Or fill out our online self-referral form for Maternity Services
Join the Maternity Voices Partnership
Have you or your partner had a baby in the last 3 years?
Would you like to make Lewisham and Greenwich maternity services better?
We need mums and dads to join our Maternity Voices Partnership (Formally known as Maternity Services Liaison Committee - MSLC).
More about the Maternity Voices Partnership