Professional Midwifery Advocates
Professional Midwifery Advocates (PMAs) work within the A-EQUIP (Advocating for Education and QUality ImProvement) model to work with women in three ways:
- Supporting midwives to advocate for women
- Providing direct support for women within a restorative approach and
- Undertaking quality improvement in collaboration with women. (NHS England 2017).
What are Professional Midwifery Advocates?
PMAs support midwives to ensure that women and babies receive good quality, safe care. Midwives will support you throughout your maternity care: if you have any concerns about your care, you and/or your midwife may contact a PMA.
How Professional Midwifery Advocates can help you
At Lewisham and Greenwich NHS Trust we have a team of six PMAs who are experienced practising midwives working clinically within midwifery and who have undergone additional training with regard to the A-EQUIP model.
- We can support your midwife to discuss the most appropriate choices for you and your baby
- We can listen to any concerns you may have about your maternity care and take action if it is felt to be appropriate. We are happy to sign post you to other services if this is something that would be useful to you
- We are happy to see you to discuss your birth(s) if you feel a discussion around your birth experience would help you
- We work with the Maternity Voices Partnership Services to ensure women's experiences of maternity services are listened to
- We facilitate training and workshops
- Midwives may want to contact us for professional advice and guidance or to reflect on their practice or experiences.
To contact us please ask your midwife to refer you or email us on email@example.com
If you have not already, you can refer yourself directly to our maternity services without having to speak to your GP. You can call our maternity hotline on 07787 841 986.