Emergency advice

This page aims to support and signpost those looking for urgent advice.


If you need urgent advice in relation to your HIV care, please get in contact with your clinic. See our clinic contact details or our HIV services page for further information. For out of hours emergencies relating to HIV medical care, please contact your GP, NHS 111 or your local Emergency Department.


Post Exposure Prophylaxis (PEP)

If you think you have been exposed to HIV in the last 72 hours, you can walk into the Waldron or Trafalgar Clinic or, if outside of clinic hours, attend an Emergency Department.

Depending on the level of risk you may be offered a course of medication called PEP (sometimes called PEPSE) which is a combination of HIV medicines that can lower the risk of infection. It can be used after the event if you have been at a high risk of HIV infection. It needs to be started within 72 hours (three days) but ideally within 24 hours.

See our PEP/PrEP page for more information and visit the main Sexual Health page for clinic information and opening times.


Emergency contraception

Emergency contraception (also called the ‘morning after pill’ or ‘emergency coil') prevents pregnancy following unprotected sex or when you think your contraception has failed (ie a broken condom).

It's best that you get help as soon as possible but it can be taken up to five days after unprotected sex.

You can walk-in into our Lewisham clinics during opening hours or attend a pharmacy near your home. See our  contraception page for more information. 



An abortion is a procedure to end a pregnancy. It's also sometimes known as a termination of pregnancy. The pregnancy is ended either by taking medicines or having a surgical procedure.

Information and advice is available from the British Pregnancy Assocation or MSI reproductive health.


Sexual assault

A sexual assault is any sexual act that a person did not consent to, or is forced into against their will. It is a form of sexual violence and includes rape (an assault involving penetration of the vagina, anus or mouth), or other sexual offences, such as groping, forced kissing, child sexual abuse or the torture of a person in a sexual manner. 

If you have been sexually assaulted and would like to speak to someone you can walk-in to the Waldron Sexual Health Centre during opening hours.

Help and support to live well after rape and sexual assault is available on the  NHS website and specialist support centre The Havens


Domestic abuse

Domestic abuse includes physical, emotional and sexual abuse in couple relationships or between family members. It can happen against anyone, and anybody can be an abuser.

You can get help for domestic abuse situations from the National Domestic Abuse Helpline or Men's Advice Line.

If it is an emergency situation please call 999.