Children's Nursing Team
The Children’s Community Nursing Team provides caring and specialist nursing care to children in their own homes and in community settings, across Lewisham, Lambeth and Southwark.
We see children in their own homes and in a variety of community settings, including schools, nurseries and respite care facilities.
Patients and families can contact the Team:
Monday to Friday (9am-5pm) on 020 3049 3780
Weekends and Bank Holidays (9am-5pm) on 020 7403 7771 (please ask for ‘community children’s nurses’)
Who is the service for?
We see children aged between 0-16 years and disabled young people up to 19 years who are still in full time education. All children and young people referred to the Team must be registered with a GP in Lewisham, Lambeth and Southwark.
What services are provided?
The Team provides support and delivers care to families who need assistance with the following:
- Drug administration including iv antibiotics and some chemotherapy
- Wound dressings
- Blood tests – using a central venous access device or peripherally
- Monitoring treatment progress eg blood pressure monitoring
- Support with changing a tracheostomy
- Support with changing a naso-gastric tube or balloon enteral feeding device
- Oxygen therapy and saturation monitoring
- Sleep studies
- Teaching and education
- End of life care
By performing these services in the home we hope to facilitate earlier discharge from hospital, prevent unnecessary readmissions and reduce the number of visits a family are required to make.
We liaise regularly with all members of the multi-agency team, based both in hospital and community settings in order to ensure the best service for children and families in the community and the safest and most effective discharge home for these families.
How can you get a referral?
We operate an open referral system. Referrals to the Team can be made by anyone including hospital staff, GP’s, community staff and parents.
Referrals can be made by calling 020 3049 3780 or email LH.CCNT2@nhs.net
Why choose the Children’s Community Nursing Team?
- We are a well-established team of experienced nurses who are used to working in a variety of settings
- The team are all qualified Paediatric Nurses many of whom have undertaken specialist training or are very experienced at caring for children and their families in their own homes or other community settings
- For the past year we have had a specialist Palliative care nurse working within the Team who is funded by Demelza Hospice. Her support and expertise has been invaluable to families at any stage along the palliative journey.
Lewisham Team Leaders: Emma Hassan/Clare Roberts